Photos of this this beautiful bath towel have been emailed to us by Betty Gricks. Betty, thank you so much for the gorgeous project, excellent photos and detailed instructions!
To decorate this towel and potholders, Betty used APPLIQUE Pastel Tulips designs.
Scroll down to read step by step instructions and see closeup photos.
Directions for Kitchen Towel
1. Embroider design on hand towel, following "Applique Technique" instructions file that comes with Applique Tulips designs. Use water soluble topping when embroidering the leaves, to prevent the stitches from sinking into terry cloth. To embroider on towel, hoop the backing only, then apply temporary spray adhesive and stick your towel over.
2. Cut hand towel to desired length (19 1/2 inch - 50cm is a good length). Sew three rows of gathering stitches 1/4 inch from cut edge.
3. Fabric Top: Cut fabric 13 1/2 inch (34cm) X 18 inch (46cm), iron interfacing to wrong side of fabric. Cut into two pieces and mark shape of fabric top on interfacing side of one piece with wash out pen from pattern. Do not cut out (see Pic. #1 below).
4. Press 1/2 inch hem up on bottom edge of one piece. Pin the two pieces together, right sides of fabric together and machine stitch on pattern line. Cut out leaving 1/4 inch seam and clip seam, turn through and press.
5. Gather towel to fit fabric top – sew and hand stitch turned hem on top back.
6. Top sew fabric top 1/4 inch from edge. Make buttonhole and sew button in place.
Directions for Potholders
7. Embroider Design on to two pieces of homespun. Cut into 5 inch squares (see Pic. #1 & Pic #2 below).
8. Cut and sew two 5 inch x 3 inch strips to top and bottom of embroidered square, and two 10 inch x 3 inch strips to the two sides (see Pic. #3 below).
9. Cut a 11 inch square each of theme fabric, calico and flannelette. Place layers on layer of flannelette, calico and front of potholder. Pin and trim back flannelette and calico to match size of potholder front. (see Pic. #4 & Pic #5 below).
10. Cut an 8 inch x 1 1/2 inch strip of theme fabric. Fold edges under 1/4 inch press and fold strip in half and top stitch each side. Attach as loop to top right hand corner of the front of potholder.
11. Place backing fabric, right sides facing, pin and stitch 1/4 inch seam, leaving an opening for turning through.
12. Turn out, press and hand stitch opening closed. Quilt in the ditch around the embroidered center square. (see Pic. #6 below).